Sunday, July 26, 2009
I finished my dragonfly bracelet and hate the way I attached the bead. Sometimes things don't work out in reality the way the look on paper...so back to the drawing board, literally. I'll post the picture of it now, and maybe you'll have some suggestions for me??
I also took some additional commissioned pieces. I've finished several...all except the first piece I ever agreed to. I broke the focal stone. Can anyone recommend a good adhesive? It's a clean brake and does not show when the pieces are fit together. I've tried super glue...not so super; lock-tite didn't; and my gem glue which just made a gummy mess.
I learned to crochet this week and immediately began to try it with wire. The resulting bracelets are Lacy and beautiful...although not perfect. That will come with practice. I can't sell them either because of the time/cost ratio...I have about 6 hours into the first one..lol.
Finally, with the start of school only a month away, I graded my last final exam (I KNOW!!!). I also updated my class wiki and started a new wiki for the Mahoning Elementary PTO. I've got to commend PBworks for an easy to use, excellent product. I now just need to get together with my co-teacher for English 11 and finish my Moodles. I also need to prep a new syllabus for English 12 and start to put together my first month's worth of lesson plans. Soooo much stuff so little time.
Monday, July 13, 2009
The wire in the wilderness was a success!! I had a great day with the 2009 Camp Egret kids from Adkins Arboretum. We started off the day making beaded spiders. The kids were totally focused on choosing the "right" beads for their creations. After about an hour we had 8 ferrousious spiders marching across the tabletop.
After a break for lunch, we wire wrapped some polished stones and strung them on leather cords. The kids chose their stones carefully, picked just the right colored wire, and got busy with their tools. We worked with basic wire wrapping techniques and caged their treasures. They were so proud! I know one lucky mom who is getting an extra special birthday present this year.
Finally, the Egrets tried their hand at Viking weaving wire. It is a bit tricky to get started, so my sister and I set them up with dowels that had the rough beginning done. One camper finished a bracelet, and three others managed to weave enough for key chains...the coolest one incorporated the spider they finished earlier in the day.
Thursday, July 9, 2009
Sunday, July 5, 2009
This video took me most of the afternoon ( trying to find all my photos...still missed some), not so sure I like the music...let me know what you think. I love animoto, the site where you can make these videos for free. Well a 30 second one anyway. Check them out at www.animoto.com. I use them frequently throughout the year. My students love creating their own music videos based on the literature we read.